Wednesday, August 13, 2008

25 years of wedded bliss

Today is our 25th wedding anniversary. I was thinking about that as I sat on the bus this morning. At least until I fell asleep and missed my stop. Got kinda distracted after that.

Imagine, Rod and I married for a quarter of a century! Many who watched us say our vows were inwardly thinking we wouldn't last a year. Rod an old fashioned Mennonite and me an independent Scandinavian....you get the picture.

They weren't far off in their predictions, we almost didn't make it. In spite of Rod memorizing every Dobson book on marriage & women before vowing to endow me with all his earthly posessions (a wok and a beat up old toyata), our first few months together were far from blissful. Poor Rod tried everything to tame his willfull bride. Somehow reading Proverbs 31 to me every evening did little to improve my attitude. I only wished for the authority to write a Proverbs 32.

By grace we adjusted and survived. We have gone through quite a bit as husband and wife. The birth of four children and the loss of one who should have been born, 15 moves (two of which were overseas), the passing of both our mothers, numerous career changes, and everything that brings joy and sorrow in between.

We've had two major "hic-ups". By that I mean we almost parted ways twice. Both times we re-committed our lives to each other by wiping the slate clean and starting fresh as if we had no past. It worked like a charm. Sometimes you just can't sort through everything and "get to the bottom" of each issue. It's best to let sleeping dogs lie and move on. One thing Rod and I have in common is that we hate keeping a record of wrongs. Actually, my lack of memory is such that I couldn't, even if I wanted to, so that helps.

I am so glad we made it to 25. It is too easy to give up when the going gets tough. Even the best of relationships have their ups and downs. I believe that couples who never have disagreements are in deep trouble. Each time we made it through a rough spot we grew closer as friends, confidants and lovers. Rod has faithfully been by my side through thick and thin just like he promised. I kept my promise too: "Where you go, there I will go also." took on a much bigger meaning than I anticipated when we said our vows. I really didn't want to leave my homeland and family for a second time back in 1988. And, I really loved the job I had in Flin Flon. But every move has been worth it; with new experiences, friends and life lessons each place we've gone.

We've never been big on celebrating our anniversaries. Not sure why, other than the fact it would be up to Rod to make the arrangements. Actually, we never went on a honeymoon either. That was my fault. I was to begin a new job two days after our wedding, so I couldn't go anywhere. (As I walked down the aisle, I silently chanted price lists I needed to have memorized.) We figured we'd go somewhere on our fifth anniversary instead. We didn't; not on our fifth, tenth, 20th or alas, our 25th.

Although we aren't celebrating this day with any major fanfare, we are happy to hit our Silver Anniversary. I love my husband by far more now than when I said "I do". I hope we have a honeymoon sometime before we hit our 50th, but if we don't that's ok too. It's the years in between that count.

As for the earthly possessions he endowed me with, - they are long gone. But the treasures we've been storing in our hearts and in heaven will always be with us.

Happy Anniversary dahling!

1 comment:

Christina said...

Wow, what an inspiring example you two are!